1. Why was investing in solar energy for your home important to you?
Our decision to move to solar was primarily based on our concerns of climate change. Jason and I are both committed to reducing our impact on Earth’s resources and we have been working on creating a highly sustainable household. Our efforts on this topic are threefold.
- Number one, we have a permaculture backyard with a large vegetable garden, fruit trees, water management systems, a greenhouse, compost, and chickens. This helps us to produce our own food and share it with friends and family. These systems have been helping us to reduce our dependency on outside resources.
- Number two, we wanted to be energy independent. As we know, energy prices are rising and we wanted to avoid paying more for electricity. So now we are producing approximately 90% of our own energy with help of Southern Energy Management (SEM). Yay!
- Number three, to complete our sustainability efforts at home, we are planning to purchase an electric car. The research has been challenging, but this will be completed in the next 2 years. On top of this, we are also committed to reducing plastic in our household. We have a long list of household products we use to keep up with this habit.
2. What made you choose to go solar with Southern Energy Management? (initially, before becoming a team member)
We chose Southern Energy Management in 2019 (our earliest reach out) because the values of SEM aligned so much with our own. For example, Southern Energy’s focus on educating residents about solar, providing high-quality service, amazing expertise about energy efficiency, and being a B Corp impressed us and encouraged us to reach out. We are so happy we did.
3. Why did you decide to become an SEM team member?
The reason I wanted to work for Southern Energy Management is because it is one of the best companies to work for, as we employees all know. As I mentioned previously, my ideals and values are deeply ingrained in sustainability and so are those of SEM’s. So I ultimately chose SEM to help lead the change and seek solutions to reduce the impacts of climate change.
4. Do you have any advice for other homeowners starting their solar journey?
Many homeowners are concerned about the cost to install solar panels. We chose to pay our electric bills ahead by investing in solar, which will help avoid the exponential energy price increases (that we are experiencing and expect to continue), while raising the value of our home. Our advice is to just do it, it’s worth it.